2009 Annual Wildflower Weekend
Pittsburg, Kansas ; September 18-20, 2009
Print this itinerary, send in the meal reservations, and come to the 2009 AWW!
Summary of Weekend
- Friday: Plant Dyeing Workshop at Ford Farm
- Friday: Tour Mon-Shon Prairie Conservation Area
- Friday: Prairie Patch Workshop at Mon-Shon Prairie
- Saturday: Silent Auction
- Saturday: Photo Contest
- Saturday: Presentation “Wild Edibles from the Native Landscape”
- Saturday: Membership Meeting
- Saturday: Tour Schermerhorn Park
- Saturday: Tour Spring River Wildlife Area
- Sunday: Tour Wildcat Glade
Friday, September 18
- 1:00 - 3:00pm Fall Board Meeting at PSU Natural Area (board members only)
- 3:30 - 5:30pm Choice of the following
- Spinning & dyeing workshop at the Ford Farm
- Field trip at Mon Shon Prairie
- Prairie Patch Workshop at the Mon Shon Prairie Tour
- 6:30pm Dinner (on your own, see list of restaurants)
Saturday, September 19
- 8:00 am Meet at Yates Hall Room 102, Pittsburg State University, on Joplin Street, west of the Stadium. Registration. Coffee, tea, and rolls. Set up Silent Auction, Photo Contest, Merchandise Displays.
- 9:00 am Annual Business Meeting
- 10:00 am Awards & Election
- 10:30 am Refreshment break. Silent Auction continues.
- 10:45 am Presentation: “Wild Edibles from the Native Landscape” by Cyndi Cogbill
- 11:45 am Break
- 12:00 pm Lunch at College Lake
- 1:30 pm Caravan to Schermerhorn Park, Galena, and Spring River Wildlife Area
Sunday, September 20
- 9:00 am Meet at Yates Hall, Pittsburg State University
- 9:15 am Caravan to Wildcat Glades Nature Center, Joplin, MO
Tour and Workshop Details
Friday Board Meeting (Board Members Only)
Pittsburg State University Natural Area
Directions: From Pittsburg: Take Hwy 69 south to Hwy 400, turn right (west); Continue west for 4 miles; Turn right (north) on 180th Ave; Continue 2.5 miles, turn left (west) onto lane (Sign says “PSU Natural History Reserve”); Take left fork in lane and curve around to green building.
From Parsons: Take Hwy 400 east through Cherokee (at Hwy 7); Continue east for 3 miles; Turn left (north) on 180th Ave; follow above directions
Friday Workshop Site
Plant Dyeing Workshop at Ford Farm
Learn about natural fibers and dyeing with plants. Come prepared to walk on trails to gather some plant materials to dye. Participants will be involved in the process of preparing fibers and dyeing yarns with plants. Spinning will also be demonstrated.
Directions: contact Cindy Ford
Friday Tour Site
Mon-Shon Prairie Conservation Area
This tallgrass prairie is located east of Pittsburg, KS on the KS/MO state line in Missouri.
Directions: Coming from the north, at intersection of Hwys 69 and 400, turn left (east); (highway becomes Hwy 171); Travel about 4 miles; Turn left (north) on 260th Rd; Travel 2 miles and turn right (east) on 520th Rd (which is gravel); Travel east about 1 mile to "T" in road; Mon Shon Prairie parking area directly ahead
Saturday Tour Site
Located south of Galena, KS, this park is found within the Ozark Plateau of Kansas. There are only 50 square miles of Ozarks in Kansas. Many rare plants of Kansas are found in this area. The park contains Ozarks Woodlands and an Ozark Glade.
Saturday Tour Site
Spring River Wildlife Area
Its location is 10 miles east and 1/4 mile north of Columbus, KS. The Spring River Wildlife Area is located within the Ozark Plateau. The Spring River borders the east side of the property for a length of 0.8 miles.
Sunday Tour Site
Wildcat Glades Nature Center
Located in Joplin, MO, this park contains chert glades. Shoal Creeks runs through the property.
- Comfort Inn & Suite • 4009 Parkview Drive • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 231-8800 www.choicehotels.com/hotel/ks067
- Econolodge • 2408 South Broadway • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 231-8300 www.econolodge.com/hotel/ks085
- Extra Inn • 4023 Parkview Drive • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 232-2800 www.extrainnhotel.com
- Holiday Lodge • 2701 North Broadway • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 231-1350
- Lamplighter Inn & Suites • 4020 Parkview Drive • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 231-8700 www.lamplighterpittsburg.com
- NOTE: KNPS has a special rate of $49.00 on 25 rooms.
- Super 8 • 3108 North Broadway • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 232-1881 www.the.super8.com/pittsburg03600
- Holiday Inn Express • 4013 Parkview Drive • Pittsburg, KS 66762 • (620) 231-1177 • www.hiexpress.com
Bed & Breakfasts
- Himmel House • 402 West Euclid • Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 232-9497 • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Madison House • 211 North Summit • Girard, KS 66743 (620) 724-4679 • (620) 704-3966
- Lyon’s Twin Mansions • 742 S National Ave Fort Scott, KS 66701 (620) 223-3644 • lyonsmansion.com
- Bit of Eden • 3546 South Pearl Joplin, MO 64804 (417) 782-8592 • www.bitofedenbnb.com
- Bamboo Palace
- Barto’s Idle Hour Steak House
- Café Del Rio
- Chatters Restaurant
- Chicken Annies Original
- Chicken Annie’s Pichler’s
- Chicken Mary’s
- Chili’s Grill
- El Charro
- Jim’s Steak House
- Josie’s Ristorante
- Mall Deli
- Napoli’s Italian Restaurant
- Rockin K Steak & Rib
- Sweet Greens Soup & Salad Bar
- Yummy Buffet