2010 Annual Wildflower Weekend (AWW)
Great Bend, KS; September 17-19, 2010
Native plant enthusiasts from across Kansas will converge on Great Bend, Kansas, September 17–19, for the Kansas Native Plant Society’s 32nd Annual Wildflower Weekend. The theme of this year’s meeting is “Wetlands, Wildflowers, and Wildlife.” The meeting will be a marvelous opportunity to visit and learn about two of the most significant wetland complexes in all of North America at Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area and Quivira National Wildlife Refuge. Visits to other prairies of interest also are planned. Roads to some of the outdoor sites may be impassable if we experience heavy or prolonged rain, so be prepared for changes in the schedule. Announcements will be made at the meeting venues. The Saturday meeting, which will be in the basement of the Great Bend Public Library, is accessible by stairs only. The elevator at the library is undergoing repair and will not be available for use to access the basement. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Help us promote the event by printing the AWW 2010 Flyer (PDF). It's suitable for printing on 11" x 17" paper.
The event is free and open to the public. Attendees are welcome to join us for some or all of the events throughout the weekend.
Print the itinerary, make your hotel reservations, send in your meal reservations (or pay online - see below), and come to the 2010 AWW!
The Itinerary includes tour locations, weekend schedule, and photo contest rules as well as hotel listings, restaurant listings, and the meal reservations form.
Online Lunch Reservation
If you plan to eat lunch with us on Saturday at the Great Bend Public Library, you need to pay in advance.
Lunch includes sliced melon & berries with honey poppy-seed dressing, chicken & busmati rice salad, baguettes with bruschetta topping, cannelloni salad with tomatoes and spinach, and blackberry jamble bars; choice of coffee, iced tea or water
Cost: $12.50 per meal. Includes tax and gratuity and online processing fee.
Use the "Add to Cart" button to purchase your meal. If purchasing more than one meal update the quantity in the shopping cart.
Friday, September 17
- Presentation on Wetlands at Kansas Wetlands Education Center
- Tour of Cheyenne Bottoms
Saturday, September 18
- Photo Contest
- Silent Auction
- Membership Meeting
- Presentation “The Cheyenne Bottoms Preserve, more than a Wetland”
- Tour Quivira National Wildlife Refuge
Sunday, September 19
- Tour Brocher Prairie (private)
Friday, September 17
- 1:00 pm Fall Board Meeting at Kansas Wetlands Education Center (KWEC)
- 3:30 pm Presentation at KWEC; tour of Cheyenne Bottoms
- 6:30 pm Dinner (on your own, see list of restaurants)
Saturday, September 18
- 9:30 am : Registration in the basement of the Great Bend Public Library, 1409 Williams Street. Coffee, tea, and rolls. Set up Silent Auction, Photo Contest, Merchandise Displays. Please note that the basement of the library is accessible by stairs only. The elevator is undergoing repair and will not be available for use to access the basement. We apologize for this inconvenience.
- 10:00 am : Annual Business Meeting
- 10:45 am : Awards & Election
- 11:15 am : Refreshment break. Silent Auction continues.
- 11:30 am : Presentation: “The Cheyenne Bottoms Preserve, more than a Wetland” by Robert Penner, Cheyenne Bottoms and Avian Program Manager, The Nature Conservancy
- 12:30 am : Break
- 1:00 pm : Catered Lunch
- 2:00 pm : Caravan to Quivira National Wildlife Refuge
Sunday, September 19
- 9:00 am : Meet at Pawnee Rock State Historic Site, 12 miles southwest of Great Bend along US 56, 0.5 mi N of the town of Pawnee Rock, Kansas
- 9:20 am : Caravan to Brocher Prairie
Tour and Workshop Details
Friday Board Meeting (Board Members Only)
Kansas Wetlands Education Center
Directions: The Kansas Wetlands Education Center is located at 592 NE Hwy 156 at the southeast side of Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area.
From Hwy 56 eastbound, travel 3.5 miles east of Great Bend, KS on Hwy 56. Then, travel northeast 6.5 miles on Hwy 156 Highway to the KWEC.
From Hwy 56 westbound, travel 7 miles west of Ellinwood, KS on Hwy 56. Then, travel northeast 6.5 miles on Hwy 156 to the KWEC.
From I-70 westbound, take exit 225 and follow Hwy 156 southwest approximately 40 miles to the KWEC.
From I-70 eastbound, take exit 184 and follow Hwy 281 south approximately 23 miles south to Hwy 4, go east on Hwy 4 through Hoisington, KS, 15 miles to NE 100 Ave. Go south 4 miles to Hwy 156. Go 3 miles southwest on Hwy 156 to the KWEC. (Follow the road signs for the Wetlands & Wildlife National Scenic Byway from Hoisington, KS.)
Friday Tour Site
Kansas Wetlands Education Center and Cheyenne BottomsThe tour will begin with a presentation at the Education Center about the mission of the Kansas Wetland Education Center, which is dedicated to educating the public about wetlands in Kansas and the Great Plains. Following the presentation, we will carpool to several areas of Cheyenne Bottoms, including areas managed by the Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Parks, and by The Nature Conservancy.
Saturday Tour Site
Quivira National Wildlife Refuge
Directions: The Quivira National Wildlife Refuge is located at 1434 NE 80th Street, Stafford, KS, approximately 20 miles southeast of Great Bend. To get to the Refuge headquarters from Wichita and points east, take Hwy 96 west to Hutchinson. Take Hwy 50 west approximately 14 miles to Hwy 14 north. Go 5 miles north to 4th Street, turn left and go 17 miles west to the Refuge headquarters.
From Great Bend and points north, take Hwy 281 south to 70th Street, and then east 13 miles to the Refuge headquarters.
From Pratt and points south, take Hwy 281 north past St. John to 70th Street. Take 70th Street east 13 miles to the Refuge headquarters.
From Macksville and points west, take Hwy 50 east to Stafford. Drive north through Stafford and continue 6 miles north to the four-way stop sign. Turn east 6 miles to the Refuge headquarters.
The Refuge is sponsoring “Monarch Mania” on the day of our tour, so staff members will not be available to conduct a guided tour. However, we have permission to visit on our own any area open to the public. We will meet at the Refuge headquarters and then carpool to potential areas of interest. There are locations that we may want to explore around Little Salt Marsh (immediately north of the Refuge headquarters) and near Big Salt Marsh (at the northwest part of the refuge). Parking areas are located around much of the refuge if we see areas of interest.
Sunday Tour Site
The Sunday tour will be a visit to a tract of land in Pawnee County owned by Marla Brocher. The tract is on the Pawnee/Barton County line, 2.5 mi E of Pawnee Rock (T21S, R15W, sec 2). It is situated on the southeast side of the Arkansas River and supports sand prairie and other associated plant communities.
The Kansas Native Plant Society has reserved a block of 25 rooms at the Highland Hotel and Convention Center, 3017 10th Street, Great Bend, for a special rate of $59.00 per night. To reserve a room, call the Hotel Reservations Department at 620-792-2431 or Toll Free Reservations 866-212-7122. To receive the contract rates, identify the group name as: KNPS. To qualify, reservation must be made by September 3, 2010. After that date, any remaining rooms will be released from the block. Additional reservation requests (beyond the 25 guaranteed to KNPS) will be honored on a space available basis. Information about the Highland Hotel and Convention Center is available at http://www.highlandhotel-gb.com/.
The Great Bend Convention and Visitors Bureau (http://www.visitgreatbend.com/) offers a full list of local attractions, accommodations, restaurants, and events in the Great Bend area. We encourage you to visit their web site to explore the local offerings. Following is a partial list of other motels and restaurants in Great Bend.
- Comfort Inn, 911 Grant Street, Great Bend, KS 67530, (620) 793-9000; http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-great_bend-kansas-KS127?promo=gglocal
- Great Bend Travelodge, 320 10th Street, Great Bend, KS, 67520, (620) 792-7219; http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=12367&cid=GTFTL&brandInfo=TL
- Best Western Angus Inn, 2920 10th Street, Great Bend, KS 67530; (620) 792-3541; http://www.bestwesternkansas.com/hotels/best-western-angus-inn/
- Americas Best Value Inn, 3500 10th Street, Great Bend, KS 67530; (620) 793-8486; http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=958
- Days Inn Great Bend, 4710 10th Street, Great Bend, KS 67530; (620) 792 8235; http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=09348&as_srp=SP2&cid=carat_search-Days_Inn
- Travelers Budget Inn, 4200 10th Street, Great Bend, KS 67530; (620) 793-5448; http://www.budgetinn.com/