State Grass Bill
Session 2010, House Bill No. 2649 By Federal and State Affairs Committee
AN ACT designating little bluestem (schizachyrium scoparium) as the state grass of Kansas.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Kansas:
Section 1. The grass known as little bluestem (schizachyrium scoparium) is hereby designated as and declared to be the official grass of
the state of Kansas.
Sec. 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its publication in the statute book.
Supporters of the bill appear with the Governor for the signing ceremony.
History of the bill
- The bill was sponsored by Representatives Kay Wolf and Sharon Swartz in January 2010.
- The bill was assigned to the Federal and State Affairs Committee in February 2010.
- On February 24, 2010, the committee voted unanimously to send the bill to the House floor.
- On March 2, 2010, the House voted and passed the bill. No amendments were added to the bill.
- On March 9, 2010, the Senate committee voted unanimously to send the bill to the Senate floor.
- On March 24, 2010, the Senate voted and passed the bill.
- On April 6, 2010, the Governor signed the bill.
- On July 1, 2010 Little Bluestem officially becomes the state grass of Kansas.